Morowali Nature Reserve is located on the eastern arm of Central Sulawesi, this nature reserve was first established in March 1980 and consists of a 225.000 ha protected area containing almost completely intact primary forest.
The terrain in the south is much less rugged and terminates in a wide coastal plain with natural lakes and swamp forest, but in the north of the reserve is dominated by steep mountains reaching over 2600 meters in height.
This nature reserve comprises some of the most extensive formations of ultrabasic rock in the world. This result in soils which have a severe deficiency of important plant. Nutrients and contain toxic concentrations of certain heavy metals.
Consequently, ultrabasic forest areas have largely been spared from intensive agriculture and logging due to the poor conditions for planting and lack of valuable timber trees.
Morowali Nature reserve is have to the indigenous Wana Tribe people who life through the reserve and consist of about 600 families that follow a traditional lifestyle. Their subsistence is based on swidden and shifting agriculture, hunting, and harvesting of forest products such as rattan and damar.
Trekking it is most convenient to stay in Wana Tribe’s huts or jungle shelters, but tents must be carried when attempting some of the more remote peaks. Hiking is generally very pleasant if one follow the well established trails used by the Wana Tribe, but can get strenuous on the mountains.
MOROWALI TREKKING AND WANA TRIBES
Duration : 09 Days – 08 Nights
Tour Area : Morowali National Park
Start – End : Palu
Grade : Easy - Intermediate
DAY 01 : MAKASSAR ARRIVAL – HOTEL
- Our staff and guide will meet you in Sultab Hasanudin Makassar international airport and transfer to the Hotel in Makassar, Meeting service and overnight staying.
DAY 02 : PALU - BETELEME
- Breakfast at Hotel, At 07.00 am leave for Beteleme, Lembo district.It takes about 9 - 10 hours drive along the beautiful mountain road with palm oil plantation and tropical rainforest. Lunch on the way. arrive in the afternoon in Beteleme village. Check in Hotel (Basic Hotel).
DAY 03 : BETELEME - KOLONEDALE - MARISSA (Colony of Wana Tribe)
- Breakfast at hotel, at 09.00 am, drive about 30 minutes to Kolonedale town where you will be transfered to motor boat to proceed you to Morowali Reserve. After about two hours crossing the Tolo Bay, with your guide and ranger start trek through the Morowali Reserve for about 4 hours to reach Marissa area. Simple lunch provided during trekking. On arrive in Marissa, you will stay overnight at Chief of Wana Tribe house.
DAY 04 : MARISSA – KAYUPOLI AREA.
- Breakfast at Wana tribe house, with Chief of Wana Tribe, you will try to practice how to use the blow pipe belongs to a Chief of Wana Tribe and discussing with his people how they live from the nature. At 09.00 am, continue your adventure trek towards Kayupoli area, another small colony of Wana Tribe. The trek takes about 5 - 6 hours through savannah and tropical rainforest. Simple lunch provided. Arrive in Kayupoli area, dinner and stay overnight with Wana people. This small colony lives nearby Morowali river. If not flood, you could swim in the riverside, its interesting.
DAY 05 : KAYUPOLI - RANO LAKE
- Breakfast at guesthouse, continue your trekking adventure via savannah and tropical rainforest, after about 4 hours with some stops, you will reach Rano lake which is located in the middle of Morowali Nature Reserve. Then By motor boat will proceed us to a Tarzan Huts which is located in western coast of Rano Lake. This is kind of Eutrofik Lake so, it has no beach, only grass grow along the Lake side. But very quit and it is beautiful tropical rainforest surrounding. Dinner and stay overnight at Tarzan Hut.
DAY 06 : RANO LAKE - LAIKANDONGA
- Take a chance to do fishing with fishermen from the lake, or with fishnet. The lake has many fresh snapper fish and a eel fish, if you are lucky you will get this kind of fish for lunch and dinner where you could smoke or grill on the lake side. Then continue by boat to Laikandonga, another colony of Wana Tribe. Dinner and stay overnight with Wana Tribe. In the evening you will be serve by traditional music from the Wana Tribe.
DAY 07 : LAIKANDONGA - MUARA - KOLONEDALE - TENTENA.
- Breakfast at tribe house, slowly drive with motor boat down to the sea side where your another big motor boat who will pick up us to transfer back to Kolonedale town, then by minibus overland to Tentena, a fresh town located on the Oligotrofik Lake of Poso Lake. Check-in at hotel in Tentena. If still have time you can visit the most beautiful waterfall in Sulawesi called Saluopa Waterfalls.
DAY 08: TENTENA - PALU
- Breakfast at hotel and at 08.00 am, by overland back to Palu city. It takes about 05 - 06 hours with some stops. Lunch on the way. Check in at the hotel in Palu.
DAY 09 : Palu – Next destination
- Free at leisure till time for transfer to Mutiara Airport of Palu for your next destination, End of the tour program.
Overland transfer :
- Airport – Hotel Palu
- Palu – Beteleme - Kolonedale
- Kolonedale – Tentena – Palu
- Hotel – Airport
Boat transfer :
- Kolonedale – Morowali Natural reserve
- Kayupoli – Rano lake
- Rano Lake – Laikandonga
- Laikandonga – Muara – Kolonedale
- Hotel in Palu : 02 Nights
- Hotel in Beteleme : 01 Night
- Guest house Morowali : 04 Nights
- Hotel in Tentena : 01 Night
Food & Beverages :
- Brekfast : 09 Times
- Lunch : 09 Times
- Dinner : 08 Times
- Drinks : Coffee, Tea, Aqua.
Not Include :
- Flight ticket in all direction
- Private expenses
- Alcohol drinks