LORELINDU NATIONAL PARK
Central Sulawesi Province located on the heart of Indonesia archipelago this province offers ancient megaliths, indigenous tribes, the mossy mountains, the sleepy blue lakes, the untouchable longest river from white water rafting, fantastic snorkeling, diving on coral reef, unpopulated small islands surrounded by endless white sandy beaches and natural voice in National reserves.
Rich in flora and fauna the most expensive Ebony wood, Teakwood, Rattan, Banyan trees, Black Orchids. The shy Babirusa, Anoa (Dwarf Buffalo), Deer and various species of birds including the rare Maleo birds (Macrocephalon maleo), Black Monkey Sulawesi (Maccaca maura), Tangkasi (the smallest species of monkies). Also offer you an activities to those people who like adventures (trekking, rafting, birding).
Lore Lindu National Park - is a forested protected area on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi. The area of the national park is 2,290 km² covering both lowland and mountanous forests with an altitude range of 200 – 2,610 m. Some of its more popular inhabitants include the Red-Knobbed Hornbill and the Giant Civet. 227 bird species have been observed in the park, 77 of which are endemic to Sulawesi. In addition to the rich wildlife, the Bada Valley located in the park also contains stone megaliths dating from ca. 1300. The national park is also an official UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
Lore Lindu National Park is the largest habitat of native mammals in Sulawesi. Monkey ghost (Tangkasi), babirusa, possum marsupials, Anoa, monkeys kakaktonkea, deer and raccoons (the largest meat-eating animals in Sulawesi).
This place also had at least 5 types of squirrels and 31 of the 38 species of mice.
There are at least 55 species of bats and more than 230 species of birds, including maleo, two types of hornbills that is kengkareng Sulawesi Sulawesi, Sulawesi towering, gold snake (Elaphe erythrura), and endemic fish in Lake Lindu (Xenopoecilus sarasinorum). Hornbills benbuncak (hornbill or allo) became inhabitants Lore Lindu National Park.
Thousands of beautiful insects can be seen around the park, such as brightly colored butterflies that fly around the park and the river and along the path.
Around lore Lindu there are also relics of the prehistoric Austronesian. Inscription ancestral cultural heritage is in the form statues, large pots of stone, stone rice jar and other carved stones. Around Lore Lindu National Park more than 400 sites were found and many more are yet to be revealed.
HOW TO GET THERE
To reach the remote area of Lorelindu National Park, the easiest way is booking your ticket from abroad and directly to Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia, or Singapore. And the other option of the Indonesian cities within International Airport Standard is Ngurah Rai - Denpasar, Bali. Sam Ratulangi - Manado, North Sulawesi, Hassanudin - Makassar, South Sulawesi, and from this airport, you can conect to Mutiara - Palu, Central Sulawesi airport. From Palu city, by rental car you can reach the remotes of Lorelindu National Park, in 05 hours driving.
MEGALITIHIC STONES / STATUES
These statues widely spread in Besoa and Bada Valley-District of South Lore, Poso Regency.
Megalith statues whose age reaches hundreds or even thousands of years spread in Lore Lindu National Park area like the Valley Napu, Besoa and Bada. These statues as a stone monument best among the statues of its kind in Indonesia.
There are five classification of sculptures based on shapes, the forms such as :
- A flat shaped stones to describing convex channels, irregular holes and other indentations.
- A form of megaliths which are found and resembles a big pot. Maybe this is where the water suply, or even a place to put the corpse in a funeral.
- The statues usually have human characteristics, but only the head, shoulders and genitals.
- Plates of stone, most likely cover kalamba.
Other places of Interest :
Mortar stone, house pillar, and several other forms.
Some an attractive tourist place to visit :
Dongi-Dongi, Kamarora. Camping, hot water, cross the forest, wildlife observation.
Nokilalaki mountain, Mount Rorekatimbo, Lariang River.
Hiking and camping and rafting :
Lake Lewuto. Lake and see the relics of the corpse Moradino.
Valley Saluki, Bada Valley, Valley Napu.
Looking at the various stone megaliths :
Besoa Valley. Seeing maleo habitat, and recreation megalith.
Lake Lindu, Gimpu, Wuasa, Bada. Lake, boating and bird and animal observation.
Tonkean Macaque, Babirusa, Diannae Tarsier, Lesser Sulawesi Tarsier, Bear Cuscus, Small Cuscus, Sulawesi Rat, Maleo Fowl, Sulawesi Palm Civet, Gold Snake, Sulawesi Frog and Lake Lindu
Trekking, Mountain Climbing, Camping, Rafting and Jungle Safari
Where is Lore Lindu National Par :
Region : Central Sulawesi Province, Indonesia
Location : Donggala and Poso Regencies
When & how to get to Lore Lindu National Park : Best Time to Visit : 01-Jul to 30-Sep
Getting There : Palu-Kamarora by car, 2.5 hours (50 km); or Palu-Wuasa by car, hours (100 km); then Wuasa-Besoa by car, hours. Palu-Kulawi, hours (80 km).
The trip into the Park area can be made on foot or on horseback along these routes: Gimpu-Besoa-Bada, days; and Saluki (Sidaonta)-Lake Lindu, day.
Nearest Town : Palu,
Airport : Mutiara Palu
PLACES OF INTEREST :
Lake Lindu is located at the central of the Park area. It is a part of Lindu enclave. Approximately 63 km away from Palu to South.
The lake is formed from the tectonic process. The beautiful natural panorama, the pluralistic culture at Lindu Plain are attractive for tourist. Lake Lindu has I000 meters above sea level with large lake's surface (3.200 ha) and extensive swamps surround. Several fauna are also can be found surround here such as Macaca tonkeana, Anoa (Bubalus sp.), Tarsier and many kind of birds, such as:
Oriental Darter, Little Pied Cormorant, Black-crowned Night-heron, Lesser Fish-eagle, White-bellied Sea-eagle.
Beautiful scenery with Bola lsland at the center of the lake. Bola island covers an area of about ± 5 hectares and there lies the Maradindo burial site, that built at the 1 8th century. This burial site can be reached for 20 minutes by motorboat from Tomado village.
To reach Lake Lindu, visitors can take a car or motorbike from Palu to Sidaunta (1 .5 hours) and continue by on foot or motorbike (Ojeg). From Sidaunta to Lindu Valley takes about 6 hours by on foot or an hour by motorcycle.
- Guest house, home stay, "katinting" boat and local guide
:: TORO VILLAGE
- Toro is name of the village which is located at the vicinity of LLNP, Approximately 115 km away from Palu to South. District of South Kulawi
Another uniqueness of this location is the traditional custom which is still hold by the Toro community. Object of Interest is classified due to local wisdom and managed by local community. Some of Lowland forest bordering rice-paddy and cacao plantations make a beautiful scenery of nature. Forest local peoples have responsible to guard the forest, called Tondo Ngata. There is also a traditional house, known as "Lobo", that usually used for traditional meeting.
Several bird species can be found here, such as Snoring Rail, Short-crested Myna, White-rumped, Cuckoo-shrike.
- Toro Village can be reached by car or public transportation, it takes 4 hour with Public transportation from Palu can be found at Petobo bus station. good road condition.
- Home stay, small restaurant and local guide.
:: LAKE TAMBING
Lake Tambing is located in the Sub Management Unit II Makmur area. Lake Tambing is ± 55 km away from Palu to South.
Lake Tambing has I .700 meters above sea level with a marshy lake and good surrounding forest.
This site is very peaceful and has amazing bird-spotting site. It is surrounded by natural forest and also usually used as a camping area. The Lake has about 10 metres depth and contents several kinds of endemic fishes. This beautiful natural environment can be enjoyed by using a traditional canoe (called "katinting") to cross the lake. Several species of Little Grebe, Malia, shrike. birds can be found here such as : Oriental Darter, Sunda Teal, Red-throated Blue-fronted Flycatcher, Honeyeater, Pygmy Cuckoo-shrike, Caerulean Cuckoo
- Lake Tambing can be reached by car or public transportation, it takes an hour from Palu by car or motorcycle with good road condition.
- Tracking trail, traditional canoe and shelter.
:: NOKILALAKI - ANASOA - ROREKATIMBU
These site are located at Sub Management LLNP area Unit II Makmur-District of North Lore, Poso regency.
- Montana forest is found at the top of Mt. Nokilalaki. The site has 2.335 meters above sea level of altitude. This forest is rich by diversity of mosses and many species of good alpine flora. This site also support tourism activities such as : birdwatching and tracking.
- Anaso has 2.000 meters above sea level of altitude and is developed for birdwatching activities along the logging trail towards the top. Several bird species can be found here, such as : Sulawesi Woodcock, Heinrich's Nightjar, Yellow-flanked whistler, Geomalia, Parrot- finches, Mountain Serin.
- Close to the top, approximately 2.600 meters above sea level, canopy seems to be more uniform. The trees are squatter and gnarled with small and thick leaves. Mosses grow well and dense, covering most of forest floor. pale green lichens can also be found, dripping from every twig and branches. Hanging mist keep the temperature down with high humidity level (to 90 %). Pitcher plants (Nepenthes Sp.) are found here and getting additional nutritious from trapping insects.
- Mt. Nokilalaki is about 55 km away from Palu to South. It takes about I ,5 hours by car or public transportation.
- Tracking trail and shelter
:: NAPU VALLEY
Napu valley is a valley which is located about I05 km away from Palu to South. Administratively, under authority of Wuasa, Wanga, Watutau Village - District of North Lore, Poso Regency.
Napu Valley has extensive wetlands area, mountains surrounded by forests and good farming lands. A good bird watching site can be found at Wuasa. There are several walking track for birdwatching with the forest rich by ephiphytes.
Several species of birds can be found at the forest edges bordering grassland area, such as : Blue-faced rail, various eagles, White-bellied Imperial Pigeon, Rusty-bellied Fantail.
It is interesting that some local people is still keep traditional culture in their daily activities such as : traditional farming, traditional wedding ceremony and great harvesting moment.
- Wuasa can be reached by car or public transportation, it takes 3 hours, can be found in Public transportation from Palu - Petobo bus station and has good condition of the road.
- Wuasa, as the entry point It also has tracking trail into the forest to the South part of the park, has many home stay and mini restaurant.
:: SILIWANGA GRASSLAND
- Siliwanga grassland lies along Siliwanga to Watutau Village - Sub Management Unit Ill Poso LLNP - District of North Lore. It is about 120 km away from Palu.
- The area has a good scenery with grassland, bordered by forest, beyond our This beautiful savana ecosystem is rich by many species of animals. Several and macaques can be found in border line area.
- Trip to Siliwanga takes 3,5 hours by car or public transportation with good road condition. Public transportation from Palu can be found in Petobo bus station
- Tracking trail, people residential, small restaurant and local guide.